Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Reflection #2

What a difference a day (or two) makes! I can't believe how much really great progress we have made in the past couple of days. First, Google Docs seems to have come out of hibernation and is now working well for us again. Thank goodness! Second, I really can see where all those great ideas of Jen and Sam were headed. I tend to get overwhelmed by the small details and they really understand them. Now that the entire project is really coming together I am so pleased with the results.

Today we did a mini-gallery walk. It was so fun to get to see the other group's work so far. I found that there really is a world of difference between the middle and high school teachers and those of us in elementary schools. For example, there isn't nearly the detail in the lesson plans necessary for the older students. They just bring in materials and give instructions and set their kids to work. We could never do that with the younger kids. I teach 3rd and our project is geared at 1st so even I had to adjust my frame of reference a bit to breakdown the instructions and plan for even a smaller chunk of information at a time. It was exciting to see all the different skill levels that each grade brings.

Another difference I noticed during the walk was the level of interactive websites for the older kids. I think those groups really have the web as a resource the kids will be using, while our website is more of a guide for the teacher and a place to post the projects for the kids. It is an interesting difference in the developmental process among the grades.

The next step for our group is to create the rubric and review the entire project to fine tune any outstanding issues. If time permits we would like to design the student sheets and put together a sample project. We will see what tomorrow brings. I am so pleased with how our team has functioned so smoothly. It has so exceeded my expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment